Sunday 6 August 2017

YALC 2017!!


As I write this it has been a week since YALC and I'm willing to give just about anything to be able to go back and do it all over again.

For the past three years, me, my brother and my dad have gone down to London to go to YALC and London Film and Comic Con. It's like a family tradition now.

This year we went down the day before the convention started, on the Thursday. I FINALLY got to visit Westminster Abbey - I've been meaning to go there for years but never got the chance. It's insanely beautiful inside.

In the evening we went to see Hamlet with Andrew Scott and Jessica Brown Findlay. Both were amazing to watch live, but I have to admit after such a long day by the end I was ready to fall asleep. It started at 7 and didn't end until 10:45!

















On Friday it was finally time for YALC!
I dressed up as Sophie Hatter from Howl's Moving Castle for the weekend. The dress is so floaty and swishy - I felt so awesome walking around in it!
Friday was my busiest day for signings, so I hauled all my books from the hotel to Olympia. It broke my shoulders to do so, but it was so worth it.


Alison Goodman lead a Regency Dancing exercise on the afternoon, which I knew I just HAD to do. I'm obsessed with her series The Dark Days Club and could not pass up to opportunity to be taught to dance by her. It ended up being so much fun - I think everyone just laughed the entire way through.



 On Friday night we went to see The Phantom of the Opera aka the best musical ever. We got front row tickets and I literally could have cried it was so gooooooodddd. This is how close we were to the stage.


Saturday was filled with more signings, more panels, more books, more swag, more friends....


In the evening I ventured to Comic Con to see the Game of Thrones panel, which meant I missed the infamous Benedict sighting as he came past Non Pratt's head shaving. 



Sunday morning was all about grabbing an Invictus arc. Mission success! I then got it signed by the awesome Ryan Graudin!

The line for Invictus arcs taken by Ryan Graudin - with my dad unhelpfully standing right in the way! *shakes head* 

Sunday afternoon was all about spotting Cumberbatch for myself. Misson success! I first spotted him walking by, but then later he walked past and said hi to someone and then hi how are you? to me. Me being me, I just screeched HI back. I also spotted Natalie Dormer walking around - she's even more gorgeous in person.

Here are some amazing cosplays I got pictures of. There are so many more I wish I'd taken pictures of! 
I DIED seeing the Rhys and Feyre cosplay. It was just perfect.

My brother told me there was a Howl cosplay going around Comic Con, but after exploring the maze that was downstairs for a while we could not find him anymore. So disappointing! We would have been great to get a picture of!


Here's some pics of my haul from the weekend after I eventually managed to sort out everything I'd gotten signed/ bought/ grabbed in London. 
First pic is what I took myself. 
Second pics left stack is arcs I grabbed. Right stack is books I bought. 
Third pic is swag!





Undoubtedly the best part of going to YALC is seeing people I only see once a year. Chatting books with everyone is always an absolute joy. I can't wait to do it all over again next year!
(I also need to remember to get pics with everyone - I always get caught up in booktalk and forget!)

Thanks for reading!!! 



(Calcifer in his home for the weekend - My hat!
Taken by @BookAddictdGirl)

No comments:

Post a Comment