Wednesday 27 August 2014


Heir of Fire
By Sarah J Maas

 


 

Heir of Fire carries on after the events on Crown of Midnight. Sent to Wendlyn, Celaena’s thoughts lie on avenging the death of her dearest friend, and destroying the tyrant on Erilea’s throne. Chaol sacrificed his future to send Celaena to Wednlyn to protect her, but is she really safe there?

Dorian finds help in an unlikely place and deep in the mountains, a force is mustering to take to the skies.

Will Celaena find the strength to overcome her past and fight for a better future?

 

Celaena is BACK.

 

It’s taken me a few days to crawl out of my intense book depression after Heir of Fire and pull together the strength to not break down whilst reliving this book AND I LOVE IT. If a book can make me feel this strongly and passionately… then it’s a damn good book.

 

If you’ve read the previous Throne of Glass books, then I can tell you now, have no fear that Heir of Fire does not live up to its predecessors, it deserves ALL the hype…and more. If you haven’t read the books, then, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! A HOLE?!

 

I highly recommend them.

 

If you read the first one but weren’t particularly interest, then I suggest you give it another go, Heir of Fire brings a TONNE of change to the series so you may find what you once found unlikeable has converted into awesomeness. If you thought Celaena was too girly an assassin, this book has many new characters and not much focus on her girly and assassin qualities, give it go!

 

The world of Throne of Glass has tripled in size, where before, we got points of view from people in Rifthold, we now have points of view from three different places across two different continents. Being introduced to Wendlyn was exciting, we’ve heard of it and all its difference to Erilea, so how much is true?

Experiencing a new place is always exciting in a book, and Sarah’s description is so rich and vivid that the world just paints itself in your head, but Wendlyn’s differences to Erilea is what makes it extra special. We get a full insight into this world that isn’t under the thumb of a tyrant king or has its magic shackled. The Fae are aplenty and the land is rife with new creatures unheard of in Erilea. I want a Throne of Glass bestiary just to learn about them all. To me this world has expanded exponentially, where before we had a kind of medieval-fantasy land we now have an epic fantasy land teeming with imagination, both dreamy and nightmarish.

 

I’m a fan of the detailed descriptions of places and characters- so if you do too, Sarah is a great writer for you.

 

Heir of Fire introduces some new characters to us, mainly Rowan, Aedion, Manon and Sorcha. After having mostly Celaena, Dorian and Chaol for two books, it’s an odd but totally welcome change to have so many important characters with points of view. These characters will have you falling in love with them on their first page, Sarah just never slips, each character is so detailed and layered with a back-story all to themselves as well as awesome traits and flaws that just makes them feel so REAL, they aren’t perfect, making them more relatable and human (or Fae…or witch). New men=more swooning too!

I loved Aedion’s love for his cousin, I loved Rowan’s broodiness, I loved Manons wickedness and I loved Sorcha’s kindness.

 

Don’t worry though! All of your favourite characters are back and still just as badass. Many times during this book I had the biggest grin on my face because I was just so PROUD of these characters for how far they’ve come. They all grow so much in this book. By the end they all have changed in big ways from the beginning. I was totally cheering them on. Celaena I thought grew in confidence and became more comfortable with who she is, Dorian stood up for himself and his opinions and Chaol made his choice.

 

As said in Crown of Midnight, the king has been rearing Wyverns and if you’ve read excerpts of Heir of Fire, you’ll know they feature in this book. Woah. Game of Thrones fans you may have to make way for a new favourite winged beasty.

 

We finally get to find out the whole truth about Celaena’s past, something we’ve been waiting for and it does not disappoint. You get to feel like you really understand and connect with Celaena now knowing her whole past. I was totally on edge.

 

Heir of Fire is filled with twists and shocks and constant entertainment. It’ll have you clutching your book, devouring its pages while you complain the pages just won’t turn fast enough. If not: you’re reading it wrong. It grabs hold of you with a vice-like grip on the first page and doesn’t relent until the last.

 

After finishing Heir of Fire, I wanted to hug Sarah so bad and also cry WHY?! at her. And I love her for it. I love that a book can make me struggle to contain my sobs at 1am in the morning while the rest of the house sleeps and feel in a daze the next few days because that book has impacted me in a big way. I love that someone’s words have the power to do that. Even if it hurts the characters you love. If the author can make you feel so strongly about what happens to a character and leave you wide eyed, then they are a brilliant author in my eyes, and I was thoroughly speechless by the end of this book.

 

From my talk of sobs, you can guess a scene or two are not happy ones but I love that Sarah can lull me into a sense of safety and then crash it down upon you with an ingenious move, the previous two books are evidence, and I worship her for her risk taking and bold moves.

 

I just can’t wait for the release of this book so everyone can fangirl/fanboy together and laugh and cry because the Throne of Glass fandom really could rattle the stars because we are all behind Celaena and we are not afraid.

 

Thank you Sarah J Maas for another beautiful instalment!!

 

An undoubtable, undebtable, undeniable 5 stars.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment